How to Pack and Store Your Seasonal Items: Expert Advice from Cornerstone Storage
April 19th, 2023
Seasonal items such as holiday decorations, winter gear, summer sports equipment, and seasonal clothing can take up valuable space in your home when not in use. Properly packing and storing these items can help you keep your home organized and ensure that your seasonal items remain in good condition for future use. In this blog post, we will provide you with expert advice from Cornerstone Storage on how to pack and store your seasonal items effectively.
- Assess and Sort Your Seasonal Items: The first step in packing and storing seasonal items is to assess and sort them. Take inventory of all your seasonal items and determine which ones you want to keep, donate, or discard. This will help you declutter and only store items that you will actually use in the future.
- Gather Packing Supplies: Once you have sorted your seasonal items, gather the necessary packing supplies. This may include sturdy boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, packing paper, and labels. Using high-quality packing supplies will help protect your seasonal items during storage.
- Clean and Prepare Your Seasonal Items: Before packing your seasonal items, make sure they are clean and dry. Clean any dirt, dust, or stains from your items to prevent them from becoming damaged or attracting pests during storage. Allow them to dry thoroughly before packing.
- Use Proper Packing Techniques: When packing your seasonal items, use proper packing techniques to ensure they are well-protected. Wrap fragile items such as glass ornaments or delicate clothing in bubble wrap or packing paper. Fill any empty spaces in boxes with packing paper or bubble wrap to prevent shifting during storage. Avoid overpacking boxes, as this can cause damage to the items inside.
- Label Your Boxes: Label each box with its contents and destination room to make it easy to locate items when needed. Use clear and descriptive labels, and place them on the sides of the boxes for easy visibility. This will save you time and effort when you need to retrieve specific seasonal items from storage.
- Choose the Right Storage Unit: Selecting the right storage unit is crucial for the safety and security of your seasonal items. Consider factors such as climate control, security features, and size when choosing a storage unit at Cornerstone Storage. Climate-controlled units are ideal for protecting delicate items from extreme temperature and humidity changes. Security features such as surveillance cameras, gated access, and onsite staff can provide added peace of mind.
- Pack Your Storage Unit Strategically: When moving your packed boxes to the storage unit, pack them strategically. Place heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on top. Leave aisles for easy access to all items, and keep frequently used items near the entrance for easy retrieval. Avoid placing items directly on the floor to protect them from moisture.
- Consider Special Storage Needs: Some seasonal items may require special storage considerations. For example, winter gear such as skis or snowboards may need to be stored vertically to prevent warping. Delicate items such as holiday lights may need to be wound around a spool or stored in airtight containers to prevent tangling or damage.
- Maintain Your Seasonal Items: Periodically check on your seasonal items in storage to ensure they are in good condition. If needed, rearrange boxes or make adjustments to prevent shifting or damage. Keep an inventory of what you have stored and update it as needed to keep track of your seasonal items.
Packing and storing your seasonal items properly is essential to keep your home organized and your belongings safe. By following the expert advice from Cornerstone Storage provided in this blog post, you can ensure that your seasonal items are well-protected during storage and ready for use when the season comes around again. Remember to assess and sort
Cornerstone Storage Blog